View this property at:
About this Property
Tijuca Tower is a landmark on Bald Head Island, one of two towers that mark a beach access in the Harbour Village. The award-winning towers, designed by two of the most prominent architects on the island, have been featured in books on southern coastal architecture and in such magazines as Metropolitan Home and Fine Homebuilding.
Tijuca is comfortably located, a brief walk to the eateries, ferry terminal, marina and other comforts of the Harbour Village. It has spectacular vistas out to the sea and down the South Carolina coast. By day, you can watch ships make their way up the Cape Fear River, toward the port of Wilmington, the same shipping lane Union warships enclosed by blockade during the Civil War. At nighttime, you can see a long line of twinkling lights on the distant coast. You can also see the beacons of two lighthouses. The sound of lapping surf is distinct in both bedrooms when the windows are open.
The top floor of the tower provides 360-degree vistas across the island and sea. With windows on every side, there are many varied and glamourous and changing water vistas, of the sea, river, harbor and the broad marshes of Bald Head, not to mention magical sunrises and sunsets. The tower bedroom, with its walls of windows, is about the highest habitable spot in the village. The master bedroom has a queen sized bed and private 2-compartment bathroom with grooming table and jetted tub with shower.
On the second floor, there is a living and dining area with sizable French doors that open out onto a roomy outdoor space with vistas across the dunes and up and down the beach - a great spot for morning coffee or libations watching the sun set over the water. There are two porch rockers and a 41" round dining table with seating for four or five on the outdoor space. There is a separate modest but complete U-shaped kitchen in the southeast corner of the second floor. The window above the sink looks out over the marina and Old Baldy lighthouse. Cooks will value the well-supplied kitchen with professional silverware such as tri-ply stainless steel cookware and luxuries such as filtered insta-hot and cold water. Appliances include toaster oven, mixer, blender, hand blender, food processor, electric griddle, electric drip coffee pot, microwave, refrigerator with separate freezer with ice-maker, electric range, and bespoke-paneled, peaceful stainless steel dishwasher. The kitchen and dining area are separated by a specially-designed mahogany base cabinet and upper glass-doored hanging cabinets, all of which can be accessed from both the kitchen and dining room sides.
The first floor is comprised of a bathroom with tiled shower and stacked full-size washer/dryer, a generous bedroom, and a separate screened porch, which leads to an outdoor patio surrounded by a rosemary hedge. The porch is rustically furbished with two wicker chairs and two adirondack chairs, and there are hammock hooks for the sleeping hammock that lives on a hook in the corner of the bedroom. The bedroom has a appealing king-sized bed that can be made into additional long singles. The bed is typically set up as a king; request should be made ahead of time if the twin set-up is desired.
The entire home has antique pine oiled floors and the walls are made of tongue and groove bead board. The furnishings are a combination of wicker, antiques and bespoke designed pieces. Natural-fiber high-count sheets and bed coverings are used on the beds.
There is a 4-person golf cart with garage storage and charging station. There are 2 adult bicycles, 4 beach chairs, a beach umbrella and various beach toys in the garage.
Swimming is right at hand, down an adjacent wooden boardwalk to the beach. The home also has its own private outdoor shower, with water vistas and hot and cold water.
Even wider sea beaches with high surf, some of the most elegant beaches on the East Coast, are a brief golf cart ride away. Tijuca Tower is certainly the choice perch from which to view and experience the beauty of Bald Head Island. One fresh guest described a stay in the tower this way in a guest rent entry: 'Words cannot describe how exactly ideal our long weekend was here on Bald Head Island. What a ridiculous bungalow for such a pretty, relaxing, striking place. We savored every moment and cannot wait to return.'
Technology in the home includes:
• Unlimited long distance calls to USA and Canada
• High speed WIFI throughout home
• Flat screen TV with extended basic cable in the living room and upstairs bedroom
• Both TVs have an HDMI outlet for streaming from your computer, so bring an HDMI cable - also available at hardware store on the island.
The home is available for rent all year, and visitors from colder northern states often remark on the mild and temperate conditions that prevail early in the spring and very late into fall, when prices are discounted.
All visitors are offered the option to buy temporary memberships to the Shoals Club (a beach club with pool, bar, and dining located at Cape Fear, the southeastern tip of the island) and/or the BHI Country Club (for golf, tennis, croquet, exercise center, pool, snack bar, playground, bar and dining).
Saturday to Saturday rental during peak seasons. Sorry, no family dogs and cats.
Keywords: A three-story oceanfront tower
*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ***
During the peak summer season, the ferry/tram reservations fill up before the season begins. It is CRITICAL that you rent and confirm your ferry and tram reservations for your check-in and check-out days as soon as you rent your stay.
You can find ferry schedules and contact information for reserving ferry passage by searching on line for Bald Head Island ferry. Please note that you will need the address of the unit when making the reservations: 3 Row Boat Row in the Harbour Village. When you make your reservation, you should receive a confirmation number. The ferry ticket covers the ferry ride and tram service to and from your place on the island. It is most impressive to confirm your reservation just prior to arrival and departure days just to make sure everything is in order. Please note that there are baggage limits on the ferry.
The ferry to Bald Head Island leaves from Deep Point Marina in Southport, located at 1301 Ferry Rd., Southport, NC.
For information about the ferry schedules, baggage limits, parking and other island information, check out baldheadisland.com/island or other web sites about the island.
Check-in time: 4:00 PM day of arrival
Check-out time: 10:00 AM day of departure
How to get the best deal on your rental
- Search for the official tourism bureau where you want to vacation. Many established tourism bureaus supply guides with savings for accommodations, restaurants and activities. Look for these guides and promotional books, as this allows travelers to discover the same fantastic attractions with a substantial discounted.
- Able to change your travel dates? Off-season rates are usually a fraction of maximum costs.
- Many vacation rental companies and owners offer price reductions for active duty and veteran members of the U.S. Armed forces, or returning guests of the same rental home. Be sure to check with property management company to see if your visiting group is eligible for a reduction.
- Is there a certain experience you are mainly looking forward to ? If there's a particular Southport atteaction that you love, be on the lookout for properties that cater especially to you.
- Think about getting trip insurance together with your rental contract. Trip insurance, which usually add anywhere between 1% - 5% of the base rental cost, offers guests reimbursement of their rental expenses for any days missed as a result of personal medical related emergencies or hurricanes, and additionally ensuing additional hurricane evacuation costs or expenses, such as an unanticipated hotel room stay or extra gasoline. Trip insurance is definitely a bank account-saver if the unforseen occurs .
The Rental Process
Many people are surprised to discover just how many rental properties can be found in Southport. Vacation home accommodations have gained in popularity with the rise of worldwide search sites like Tripadvisor and VRBO.
Vacation homes are commonly owner operated or managed by rental management companies. Rental owners typically select management companies to facilitate advertising campaigns, housekeeping and maintenance.
Seasoned Southport vacationers have identified a few tips and tricks throughout the years with regards to renting rentals, however most novices will be happy to learn that several "techniques" are in plain sight, if you understand where to look.
How to find and reserve a great rental home:
Before you decide to book "Tijuca Tower on the Beach: a Bald Head Island Icon", read through our brief collection of factors to consider.
Search Early and Frequently
Like many renowned vacation spots, In Southport the best rental homes are booked early. Booking your rental 6-12 months in advance is highly recommended, whenever possible. A lot of households prefer to begin their search over Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve holiday gatherings.
Find your Spot and Confirm Dates
Begin by figuring out which particular area of Southport you'd like to browse, and the choose dates you'll be vacationing.
How Many Beds?
How many relatives are joining your getaway? Consider that many vacation rentals list maximum guest capacity, which oftentimes includes sofa beds in the home's living room. You will need to determine what is suitable for the company. Generally rental home listings will outline each of the unit's specific bedrooms and beds.
Create a Budget
Will the preferred vacation property suit your budget during that popular Summer week? If a few individuals or relatives are sharing the cost, confirm that everyone understands their responsibility and has approved a maximum they are prepared to pay. Generally speaking, a single member of the group will be liable for making the complete reservation and collecting each party's share.
Its All About Amenities
What property features is your family interested in? Do you simply desire a rental home with a pool, spa or beach volleyball court? Do you want to be far from the crowds, or close to civilization? Are extras like beach chairs, barbecue grills, umbrellas, beach carts or coolers available and included in your rental charge? Gather a list of "necessities and wishes" from your party to help narrow your search to the most suitable property.
Grandparents will thank you for not reserving a stairs-only condo on the 3rd floor. If wheel chair access, elevators, pool lifts or other specialized equipment is necessary, include that into your search. Nearly all rental home listings include a list of amenities.
Don't forget to include your best friend! Pets are welcome at a number of vacation rentals, but policies can vary. Read your contract very carefully! Extra fees or deposits may be applied to your agreement. When in doubt, ask the property owner and get it in writing.
Its Time to Search
Several websites exist to match visitors with property owners.. In combination with Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we recommend searching Google for "Southport local vacation homes" for local property management companies. Local vacation rental management companies proudly offer an exceptional rental experience.
Negotiate the Price
Re-read the description to ensure that the vacation home has everything that you need. If it is something is missing, the vacation rental management company may know of comparable properties that better fit your style and budget..
Some rental home owners will negotiate prices, and some won't. If they are unwilling to budge on a highly-desirable week, try getting an extra night. Your greatest chance for a lower rate is switching to an off-season week.
Study the Entire Agreement
Read through the entire agreement and be sure you understand who is liable for:
- Electric bills
- Internet Connectivity
- Telephone service
- Pool and hot tub heating
- Cable and pay-per-view TV
- Daily Cleaning (If Available)
- Trash Pickup (and which day?)
- Maintenance (get a phone number)
- Check in & Check Out Key Exchange
- Parking requirements
In addition to the normal charge, vacationers will need to pay state taxes when booking "Tijuca Tower on the Beach: a Bald Head Island Icon", as well as various other additional fees that may be mandatory based upon their circumstances, including a dog fee, earlier check-in or late check-out fee, or a pool heat fee for private swimming pool usage during the fall or spring months.
What is the Cancellation Policy?
Cancellation policies vary for each property. Many rental agreements include an option for trip insurance. Trip insurance protects the renter against emergencies and weather events, It provides reassurance should disaster strike.
Reserve your Rental Home
When everything looks right, it's finally time to sign a rental agreement. You will probably be required to submit a security deposit at time of booking.
Know Who to Call
Remember to get the property manager's contact telephone number and entry/exit procedures for your rental property. We recommend storing the contact's information in your smartphone and wallet.
Congratulations! All that is left is enjoying your vacation!
During your Stay
- Take pictures on your arrival. Record the overall condition of the rental unit immediately upon arrival. If you discover wear and tear, or if fixes are required call the rental manager right away. This will prevent disagreements during check out.
- When there's any ambiguity about vehicle parking, policies of the house, condo access, pool operations, etc... we advise you ask the rental manager immediately. A quick phone call prevents many head aches.
- Please be considerate of the neighborhood. Local people will probably be as friendly to you as you are considerate of them. Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by vacationers next to your primary residence.
- Ask a local. Local people can often point you in the right direction.
- Make sure you protect the rental owner (and your things!) by keeping the rental home locked up while you are away, exactly like you would at home.
- Clean up a lttle bit. Despite the fact that you're paying a house cleaning fee, The rental is required to be in sound condition. Kitchen sinks brimming with dishes, substantial sand on the flooring and sticky messes should really be remedied before you leave.
- Make a point to walk through the rental one final time and check for damage. Whenever possible, do this walk-out inspection with the property owner present. If the property manager is not available, make certain you take photos of the property to record its condition.
- How would you rate your experience? Most rental home management companies and rental search sites allow renters to give comments. If your rental and/or property manager was terrific, they will appreciate your praise. If something went wrong, we advise being pleasant but straightforward with regards to experience. Top property owners and managers will work very hard to fix the situation.
Hold a vacation recap meeting with the people in your group. Does everyone want to go back? Hopefully this guide helped you find a great rental. If the rental was not quite right, and you will better know how to improve your search for the next trip.