How to get the best deal on your rental
- Find the official tourism bureau in the area you want to travel. Many tourism bureaus supply printed guides with savings for accommodations, dining and activities. These guides may provide a great start to your vacation rental search.
- Flexible about when you can travel? Shoulder seasons provide fantastic deals.
- Active Duty and veterans of the US Military may be able to get special discounts. Be sure to ask property owner to see if your visiting group qualifies for a reduced price.
- Some vacation rentals are basically designed to serve specific visitors, whether it is oceanside rentals with weekly fishing pier passes, city-center homes with walkable access to restaurants or waterfront homes that have private boat launching areas. You will definitely get the best value from a rental which most directly matches your ideal vacation setting, even if it costs a little more.
- Consider obtaining trip insurance together with your lease agreement. Trip insurance, which usually costs anywhere between 1% - 5% of the basic term price, provides guests reimbursement of their vacation costs for any days missed as a result of personal medical-related emergencies or hurricanes, and additionally ensuing additional hurricane evacuation costs or charges, such as an unplanned hotel stay or additional gas.
General Rental property Tricks & Tips
Newcomers are oftentimes shocked at the number and wide variety of weekly rental properties available in the Southport area. With such a big selection, renters are certain to come across a vacation home which matches their desires and budget.
Rentals are often owner operated or managed by property management companies. Vacation rental management companies leverage scale, staff and knowledge to provide painless operational administration on behalf of the property owner..
Seasoned Southport vacationers have identified a number of tips and tricks over the years when it comes to renting vacation homes, however most novices will be happy to realize that many of these "tricks" are in plain sight, if you know how to search.
Where to find and book the best vacation home:
Do you believe "Affordable top floor oceanfront unit with amazing views" is the perfect rental for your next family vacation? Read this checklist to make sure it fits all of your preferences.
Search Early and Often
Southport rentals are reserved months (and up to a year) in advance. Booking your rental 6-12 months before your travel dates is usually recommended, when possible. Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years are excellent times to plan and book your rental home..
Choose a Town and Time
Oftentimes, the toughest portion of organizing your vacation is deciding where to search, and when. As soon as the big decisions are resolved, the rest will be much easier.
How Many Bedrooms?
Establish who is joining, and just how many/what kind of bedroom setup you'll need. Remember that most rental homes list maximum guest capacity, which often includes sofa beds in the family room. You'll need to figure out what is suitable for the family. Generally rental home listings will summarize each one of the unit's specific bedrooms and beds.
Stay on a Budget
Does the chosen rental home suit your budget during that choice Summer week? Make sure that you get cost-sharing commitments from family and friends prior to reserving an expensive rental property. Most rental documents require a single individual to be responsible for the entire reservation.
Its All About Amenities
What amenities is the family trying to find? Are you looking for a rental home with outside dining area? Will the unit need to be beachfront, the downtown area, or in close proximity to wildlife? Will the unit have bikes and body boards available for use throughout your stay? Gather a list of prioritized "necessities and preferences" from your company to help filter your search to the most appropriate home.
Grandparents will appreciate you for not reserving a stairs-only property on the 3rd floor. Make sure you remember and inquire about wheelchair access, pool lifts and special equipment needs..
Go ahead and Take the Dog
Are you or other members of the party travelling with a domestic pet? Animal friends are welcome at many rentals, but policies differ. You'll want to study descriptions and contracts carefully. Additional fees or costs may be applied to your contract. Ask questions *before* you book!
Its Time to Search
After the location, time and family members are decided, search multiple resources to find the best rental selection. Besides Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we advise searching Google for "Southport local rental homes" for local vacation rental management companies. Local vacation rental management companies pride themselves on an exceptional rental experience.
When you have located the rentalhome of your dreams, double check to make sure your travel dates are available.
Some property owners will negotiate rates, and some will not. If they are unwilling to budge on a highly-desirable week, try asking for an additional night. Negotiating rates is more effective throughout the off-season when many rental homes sit empty.
Study the Agreement
You should know which services are included:
- WIFI Access
- Telephone service
- Pool and hot tub heating
- Pay Per View Movies
- Cleaning Fees
- Trash collection
- Maintenance policies
- Check in & Check Out Key Exchange
- Parking requirements
Ensure that your price includes all taxes and fees.
If you wish to Cancel
Be sure to be aware of the cancellation policy before reserving. Rental home management companies and individual home owners typically offer their clients the option to purchase trip insurance. Trip insurance, which normally costs ranges from 1% - 5% of your standard rental home rate, can provide guests with reimbursement of their vacation costs (and subsequent rental costs) for any days missed due to personal health care emergencies or storms, in addition to hurricane evacuation expenses, such as a unanticipated motel stay or additional gas.
Reserve your Rental Property
When everything seems correct, it's finally time to sign a rental agreement. You'll likely need to submit a security deposit at time of reservation.
Keep Your Property Manager's Information
Put the rental manager's contact info into your phone and wallet for quick access to answers during your visit.
Congratulations! All that is left is making the most of your visit!
During your Stay
- Record the condition of the rental unit right away. Contact the rental manager immediately to report your observations.
- Ask questions. You may need instructions for a gas fireplace, Television set or spa. Get in touch with your rental manager. They are there to help. A phone call can save hours of difficulty.
- Remember to be a good neighbor. Residents will probably be as friendly to you as you are respectful of them. Respecting late-night quiet hours and parking rules can make a trip significantly more pleasant.
- Ask a local. Locals can often point you in the right direction. Who better to ask where to get the best nachos, have a great night out, or the best areas for night life?
- Enjoy your stay! Remember to protect the owner (and your things!) by keeping the home secured while you are away, exactly like you would at home.
At the end of your stay
- Tidy up a bit. Even if you're paying a house cleaning fee, The rental should really be in good condition. Kitchen sinks brimming with dishes, excessive beach sand on the flooring and sticky messes ought to be taken care of before leaving.
- Please make sure to walk through the rental one last time and check for property damage. If you can, do this walk-out inspection with the property owner present. If the property manager is not available, make sure you take photos of the property to record its condition.
- How was your trip? Most rental home management companies and rental websites allow renters to offer feedback. If your property and/or property manager was great, they will appreciate your recommendations. If anything went wrong and they didn't fix it in a acceptable manner, or if the rental wasn't as described, you'll want to make it a point in your comments.
Learn and Improve
Hold a vacation recap meeting with your travel companions. Did everybody have a great time? With a little luck everything turned out to be wonderful and you are excited to re-book the same rental home for next season. Otherwise, you have gained useful rental search experience to aid with the next search.