View this property at:
About this Property
Shrimp 'n Grits is under new ownership and freshly underwent breathtaking updates to become your holiday heaven! Located on cloistered Bald Head Island with no cars (golf carts only), and a nature preserve, it is an ideal hideaway. The home is mins. from the marina, BHI Club and a beach access (500 feet) on the western side by the Cape Fear River. Located on a cul-de-sac, it is a peaceful location, great for little ones who want to practice their bicycle riding skills!
You can see our proximity to the beach on the aerial photo. (Our favorite beach accesses for children and swimming are also not far away, on the southern side near the BHIC) This website gives a great breakdown of your beach options! http://units.coastalurge.com/bald-head-island-beach-guide/
Ride over on the pedestrian ferry and you will feel promptly casual as you get off at Bald Head Island and board a tram to Shrimp 'n Grits. 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths with an bounteous 1300 square feet of porches, this unit has it all for your family!
Here are a few of the updates newly finished in the home:
• Two new HVAC units
• Installed a whole home dehumidifier
• New Australian Cypress hardwoods replacing carpet
• An refreshed kitchen with new appliances, new cabinets and quartz counters!
• A thoroughly outfitted kitchen with new pots, pans, plates, platters, etc.
• Opened wall to create a walk through kitchen
• Smoothed ceilings downstairs
• Tongue and groove wood ceilings upstairs
• Extensive landscaping removal of vines and growth
• Fresh paint throughout
• All new furnishings!
• New stone bathroom vanities
•. New tiled bathroom floors
• All new lighting
• New artwork and décor
•. New water heater
•. Cleaned A/C vents
•. Exterior security cameras
• New intelligent TVs in bedrooms and living room
• A keyless entry system
• Alarm clocks with USB
• A new cleaning company
• Professionally laundered linens
• A trauma kit and defibrillator in case of emergency
• Refurbished six seater and four seater golf carts (2017)
The humongous master bedroom has a king bed, sizable dresser, desk and direct porch access.
The second bedroom has bunk beds and queen bed, dresser and direct porch access.
The third bedroom has bunk beds and queen bed as well, dresser, and a generous walk in closet. The 2nd and 3rd bedrooms are the exact same dimensions.
Each bedroom has an alarm clock with USB charging ports and a mounted intelligent TV.
A four seater golf cart and a six seater golf cart, beach toys and 2-3 bicycles supplied. (Additional bicycles are available for rent on the island). An outdoor shower, fish washing station and modest charcoal grille are also available at the home.
The top floor living area includes an updated kitchen with quartz countertops, coffee bar, Berkey water filter, a long dining table, and screened porch dining for 8. There are two roomy seating areas on the top floor, along with a huge TV for those movie nights! The living area opens up to a second porch.
You may buy a temporary membership under our Lifestyle membership at both the Shoals Club and Bald Head Island Club. We strongly recommend you look into the clubs as they have very phenomenal luxuries. Shoals Club sets out beach chairs and umbrella for members, and offers pools and eateries. Bald Head Island Club has sports like croquet, tennis, golf, etc., great pools for children and eateries. This is a separate buy that you coordinate directly with the club.
Once you have booked the home with us, go to these respective links to request a temporary guest membership with the club of your choice. Do not wait as they process these in advance and will cap temporary memberships! We will need to authorize your temporary membership under our full Lifestyle membership. Accordingly, you are responsible for any damages or infractions at the Clubs. Be sure that you submit the form to the club in advance, as there may be a fee for requests with less than 5 days notice.
Bald Head Island Club- https://www.bhiclub.net/guest-memberships (this one is finished online)
Shoals Club- https://shoalsclub.com/documents/10180/1332699/2021+Temp+Member+Form (this one you will print, complete and send to us for signature before submitting to Shoals Club)
A few notes about Club changes for 2022. They have changed dates when renters can access the clubs. Some dates/times are for permanent members only. Also, they capped how many temporary rental memberships are available, so request this ASAP before they sell out! Payment is now based on per person instead of per bedroom. Lastly, they are now capping the number of individual temporary members per home, and our home's cap is 8. If you have more than 8 visitors, not all can use the club. I strongly suggest contacting the club to ask your questions and get clarification. Unfortunately, we do not know all of the details, and phoning or emailing the club is your most superb bet.
Visit the club websites and the BHI Conservancy to learn more about the island's various pools, golf, children camps, children dissection classes, nature walks and more! Our family has very relished their comforts. The historic Old Baldy light home also offers a chance for a feathered friends eye view of the island, while water crafts are also an option for those who appreciate sailing, kayaking and more.
www.shoalsclub.com, bhiclub.net, bhic.org
If you are looking to rent numerous homes for a bigger group, we can help connect you with our two neighboring homes, essentially renting the private cul-de-sac for your group. (Several families in need of bigger space choose to rent out 2-3 of the homes for the week)
Rent the tram early as prime times are taken quickly!! For reservations, your address is 7 Spikerush Court.
A modest starter kit with a roll of paper towels, toilet paper for each restroom, 1-2 dishwasher and laundry pods, is included.
This is a non-smoking unit. The homeowner has serious allergies to tobacco products, and therefore we can not accept any smoking or vaping on the unit (indoors or outdoors). Thank you for understanding how important this is for us.
We give one 4 seater golf cart and one 6 seater golf cart.
We have two exterior audio/video cameras for added safety of visitors and security while the home is vacant. One covers the garage entry and a second covers the front door.
We support our military, and as a modest token of appreciation, we will give a 10% discount to the first 2 military families bookings per year (proof of ID mandatory). Thank you for your service!
Unfortunately, dogs and cats are not allowed. The owner's doodles do occasionally visit.
Items available at the home (note this inventory is taken at the beginning of the season. Since we have renters, we can not guarantee condition or even that they will still be there): Pack and play, booster seat chair insert located in the coffee bar cabinets, infant gate, beach towels, 5 beach chairs, beach umbrella, sand toys, bicycles, crab pot
Our family hopes that you will appreciate Shrimp 'n Grits as much as we do! Please let us know what questions we can answer about Bald Head Island to make your stay more delightful! Follow our Facebook page for updates and photos https://www.facebook.com/shrimpngritsBHI
- Many rental owners and vacation rental properties supply Southport area promotional travel books which include money-saving promotions, either offered independently by merchants, or through a relationship between the property manager and the local itself. Keep an eye out for these books and coupon books, because this allows travelers to enjoy the same wonderful activities with a typically substantial discounted.
- Just want to stay away from crowds of people and reduce costs? Off-peak times provide substantive markdowns.
- Are you a armed forces veteran? Several vacation rental companies offer special discounts to vets and active-duty military. Be sure to ask vacation rental company to see if your visiting crew qualifies for a discount.
- Some properties are particularly designed for specific types of travellers. Large event homes are great for weddings, receptions and corporate retreats. Some rentals cater to beach bums. Other properties are positioned close to music venues. If there's a certain Southport activity you simply love, be on the lookout for rentals that cater especially to you.
- Give thought to obtaining trip insurance with your lease contract. Trip insurance, which usually will cost you between 1% - 5% of the basic stay price, offers vacationers reimbursement of their travel expenses for any missed resulting from medical-related emergencies or hurricanes, as well as ensuing additional hurricane evacuation costs or charges, like an unplanned hotel room stay or extra gasoline. Trip insurance can be a bank account-saver if the unforseen occurs (heaven forbid!).
The Rental Process
Newcomers are sometimes surprised at the range and selection of short term properties available in the Southport area. Rental home accommodations have gained in popularity with the rise of essential research sites like Tripadvisor and VRBO.
Rental homes are often owner operated or managed by property management companies. For property owners not directly involved with the management of their rental, management companies are instrumental in helping guests with reserving, check-in, house cleaning, and any routine service problems that may arise.
Seasoned Southport vacationers have discovered a handful of tips and tricks over the years when it comes to renting rentals, however many newcomers will be delighted to know that many of these "techniques" are in plain sight, if you recognize where they should search.
Where to find and book the best rental property:
Do you think "Your Bald Head Island 3 bedroom, newly renovated paradise, Shrimp ‘n Grits!" is the perfect rental home for your next visit? Browse through this checklist to ensure it fits your preferences.
Search Early and Frequently
Southport rental properties start booking early. Booking your rental home 6-12 months before your travel dates is highly recommended, whenever possible. Holiday reunions can be a popular time for family groups to plan their Summer escapes..
Find your Area and Identify Dates
Agreement can be complicated among relatives, but as soon as this tricky part is complete everything will start to fall in place.
Selecting an Correctly-Sized Vacation rental
Keep a list of attendees. How many beds and bedrooms will you be needing? Consider that most properties advertise maximum guest capacity, which usually includes sofa beds in the living area. You will need to figure out what is suitable for your group. Precise descriptions of bedrooms and beds are typically accessible on the internet. If not, get in touch with the property manager before you book.
Decide on Your Budget
The majority of vacation homes are marketed with a cost range. Determine the cost for your selected trip. It may be at the high end of the range. Make sure you get cost-sharing commitments from family and friends prior to booking an expensive vacation property. Most rental agreements require a single person to be in charge of the full reservation.
Its All About Amenities
What amenities is the group searching for? Is a screened porch a necessity? Would you like to be away from it all, or close to a city setting? Are extras like beach chairs, gas grills, umbrellas, buggies or coolers available and included in your rental home fee? Gather a list of "necessities and preferences" from your group to help narrow your search to the most appropriate property.
Do individual members of your crew have specific needs? Be sure to remember and ask about wheel chair entry, pool lifts and specialized equipment requirements..
Your Puppy Needs a Holiday, Too
Do not forget to include your companion! Animals are welcome at many vacation homes, but guidelines differ. Many limitations may dismiss a potential vacation property. Examine your agreement very carefully! Extra charges may apply when animals are added. When in doubt, ask the property manager and get it in writing.
The best places to Search
A number of internet resources exist to match visitors with rental owners.. Together with Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we advise searching Google for "Southport local rentals" for local vacation rental management companies. Local rental home management companies proudly offer a top-quality rental experience.
Negotiate the Price
When you've spotted your dream rental, check to confirm your vacation dates are available.
While not true for all properties, many property owners and property managers will make a deal on rates. If the price isn't negotiable, the number of nights might be. Your greatest prospects for a lower rate will be shifting to a less desirable week.
Study The Agreement
Find out which of the following is included in your quoted rate:
- Power bills
- Internet Connectivity
- Telephone service
- Pool and hot tub heating
- Cable and pay-per-view TV
- Cleaning Service
- Trash Pickup (and which day?)
- Maintenance (get a phone number)
- Key exchange
- Parking Fees
Get a total that incorporates taxes, animal and other extra fees.
Ensure that you understand the cancellation policy before reserving. You'll likely be offered trip insurance. Trip insurance, which ordinarily costs somewhere between 1% - 5% of your base rental rate, provides travellers with reimbursement of their vacation costs (and subsequent rental home costs) for any nights missed a result of personal health-related emergencies or storms, as well as hurricane evacuation expenses, such as a unforeseen hotel stay or additional gas.
Complete the Booking
As soon as you believe you've found "the one", start the reservation process. You will likely be asked to submit a security deposit at time of booking.
Get Contact Details
Put the property manager's contact information into your phone and wallet for quick access to answers during your trip.
Good luck on booking your rental home! You're on your way to a fabulous vacation!
During your Stay
- Take notes of any problems immediately after you arrive. Get in touch with the property manager right away to report your findings. If there is a dispute about responsibility later, having the documented problems and contact attempts could be valuable.
- When there is any ambiguity about vehicle parking, rules of the property, condo access, pool functions, etc... we suggest you ask the rental manager immediately. A phone call can save hours of trouble.
- Please be respectful of the community. More often than not, adjacent properties are lived in by permanent locals. Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by visitors next to your residence.
- Ask a local. Natives are a great source of suggestions. Who better to ask where to get the best chicken wings, have a great date night, or the best areas for night life?
- Enjoy your stay! Be sure to protect the property owner (and your things!) by keeping the home secured while you are away, exactly like you would in your own home.
- Tidy up a lttle bit. Despite the fact that you're paying a housekeeping fee, The rental needs to be in good shape. Kitchen sinks brimming with pots and pans, substantial beach sand on the floors and sticky messes should be remedied before you leave.
- Once everything is out, perform a walk-through of the property to be certain no property damage occurred in the course of your remain. If you can, do this walk-out review with the property manager present. If the property manager is not available, be sure to take photos of the property to record its condition.
- How would you rate your experience? Just about all property management companies and rental home sites allow renters to give feedback. If your property and/or property manager was great, they'll appreciate your praise. If something went wrong, we suggest being kind but honest about your experience. Top owners and managers will try hard to fix the issue.
Learn from your Stay
Did everybody have a good time? If everything was perfect, next year's family vacation planning is going to be relatively easy. Maybe the rental was not perfect, and you'll better know how to refine your search for the next trip.